Tennis: Merrimack Men Outlast SNHU, Face Concordia (N.Y.) NCAA East Regional
- Updated: May 6, 2014
FLUSHING, N.Y. – Down 2-1 after doubles, the Merrimack College men’s tennis team rallied to post a 5-3 victory over fourth-seeded Southern New Hampshire University in the first round of the NCAA Division II Men’s Tennis Championship East Regional Monday morning at the National Tennis Center. The Warriors will advance to face top-seeded and host Concordia (N.Y.) Tuesday morning.
Score: No. 5 Merrimack 5, No. 4 SNHU 3
Records: Merrimack (14-8) | SNHU (18-6)
Location: National Tennis Center | Flushing, N.Y.
How it Happened
Southern New Hampshire began the match with two victories in doubles play as Mitch Dobek and Mike Wallace earned an 8-5 victory over Matt Pronesti (Mission Viejo, Calif.) and Chris Barnhart (Longmeadow, Mass.) in No. 1 doubles.
Sophomore Miguel Belfort (Caracas, Venzuela) and Vince Bellino (Amesbury, Mass.) fell to Juan Arango-Campo and Alex Mukdaprakorn in No. 2 doubles, 8-2. Shortly thereafter freshman duo James Barnhart (Longmeadow, Mass.) and Nick Majewski (Brewster, Mass.) was victorious over Mark Dobek and Evan Eaton in the No. 3 match, 8-2.
Holding a 2-1 lead into singles action, Southern New Hampshire extended its lead two (3-1) after Mitch Dobek defeated Pronesti in No. 1 singles, 6-3 and 6-1. However, the Warriors would come back to post wins at No. 2, 4, 5 and 6 singles to advance them to the next round.
Following the loss, Belfort battled back and picked up the 7-5, 6-1 victory over Arango-Campo in the No. 2 match, while Bellino tied the match at three as he prevailed in No. 4 singles with a 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 win over Mukaprakorn.
With the match tied at three, Merrimack pushed ahead by one as J. Barnhart defeated Mark Dobek, 6-2, 6-3 in No. 5 singles. In the final match of the afternoon, Majewski clinched the Warriors’ victory with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Brad malenich in No. 6 singles.
1. Mitch Dobek/Mike Wallace (SNH) def. Matt Pronesti/Chris Barnhart (MER) 8-5
2. Juan Arango-Campo/Alex Mukdaprakorn (SNH) def. Miguel Belfort/Vince Bellino (MER) 8-2
3. James Barnhart/Nick Majewski (MER) def. Mark Dobek/Evan Eaton (SNH) 8-2
1. Mitch Dobek (SNH) def. Matt Pronesti (MER) 6-3, 6-1
2. Miguel Belfort (MER) def. Juan Arango-Campo (SNH) 7-5, 6-1
3. Mike Wallace (SNH) vs. Chris Barnhart (MER) 4-6, 6-2, 2-5, unfinished
4. Vince Bellino (MER) def. Alex Mukdaprakorn (SNH) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
5. James Barnhart (MER) def. Mark Dobek (SNH) 6-2, 6-3
6. Nick Majewski (MER) def. Brad Malenich (SNH) 6-4, 6-4
The men’s tennis team returns to action tomorrow (May 6th), as the Warriors take on No. 1 Concordia College in day two of the NCAA East Regional. First serve is scheduled for 9 a.m. at National Tennis Center.